Aluminum Oxide, also known as Alumina, is a chemical compound of aluminum and oxygen. The most common form of crystalline aluminum oxide is known as corundum.
Alumina’s hardness makes it suitable for use as an abrasive and as a component in cutting tools. The major uses of specialty Alumina products are in refractories, ceramics, polishing, and abrasive applications.
Alumina can be used as:
- Filler in the production of plastic
- A common ingredient in sunscreen
- An ingredient in glass production
- Water purification
- An abrasive product
- Alumina ceramic armor
- Abrasion protection
- Electrical insulation
- Health and medical applications, such as hip replacements
- An ingredient in insulation for high-temperature furnaces